You must be aware that most leads take time to convert, and following-up on them regularly can make...
Table of Contents
Are you tired of chasing leads and feeling like you're getting nowhere? Don't worry; we are here to help. The truth is lead follow up can be tough. In fact, 44% of Sales Development Reps (SDRs) tend to give up after one attempt. However, follow up is crucial for your business success. The process requires you to build trust, provide value to leads, and so on.
We've put together this guide to introduce you to 7 lead follow up best practices to help you ultimately close deals. So, prepare to take your sales process to the next level and watch your business grow.
7 Lead follow up Best Practices To Consider
Below is a detailed explanation of the tactics you need to do for a successful lead follow up. Ensure to read through them carefully.
1. Reach Leads Via Their Frequently Used Channels
To successfully connect with leads, it's crucial to reach them through channels they frequently use. It means identifying the most effective point of contact to ensure your message gets through.
Whether it's social media, email, phone calls, or physical promotions, choosing the right channel depends on the leads: preferences, and behavior.
Thus, you can tailor your approach and increase your chances of success in converting them into customers.
Pro Tip- Among other channels, emails are considered the best approach for initiating contact with leads. Typically, it starts with an introductory paragraph with a special offer to entice leads to take action on the call to action (CTA). Additionally, emails offer a direct yet casual way to reach out to leads, giving them time to consider the offer.
2. Establish A Rapport With The Lead
Establishing a strong rapport and trust with the interested prospects is crucial. Here are a few tips on how to establish a rapport with the lead:
- Use the lead's name in all communication. Addressing them by their name shows that you value them as individuals. Hence, it helps build a personal connection.
- Provide personalized responses that address the lead's specific needs and concerns. It can go a long way in building trust and establishing rapport.
- Offer information based on which products or services the lead was searching for. It could include:
- Sending them relevant information about your offerings
- Scheduling a personalized consultation to discuss their needs
- Sharing how your products or services can meet their needs
Thus, providing helpful guidance without being overly sale-sy can demonstrate your expertise and build credibility with the lead.
3. Follow Up In Less Than 1 Hour
The importance of timely follow up cannot be overstated. It’s especially critical within the first hour after a lead responds to your outreach attempts.
It means that prompt follow up can make a significant difference in the success of your sales efforts.
In addition, the longer you wait to follow up on a lead, the more opportunity you give your competition to swoop in.
Moreover, ensure all interested leads are directed to your Customer Relationship Managment (CRM).
4. Decide the Frequency to Follow Up With (Warm/Cold) Leads
Warm and cold leads have different approaches when it comes to connecting with them for conversion. Learn how:
For Warm Leads
Usually, your warm leads face constraints like authority or budget that prevent them from converting. However, if you nurture them well, the chances of them calling you back after you reach out increase.
Thus, adjust your follow up frequency based on each warm lead's behavior over the next 14-90 days.
These tools help you:
- Track everything from a lead patiently waiting for a price drop or exploring new inventory.
- Send timely messages that speak directly to leads' interests at that moment by tracking their activity, including those mistakenly disqualified by sales.
Here is a simple follow up sequence that may work well when you have set up a CRM tool:
- First follow up - Day 1
- Follow up - Day 3
- Follow up - Day 7
- Follow up - Day 14
- Follow up - Day 28
- Follow up - Day 58
- Next follow up Once a Month
For cold leads
If you never interacted with the lead before then it is recommended to give at least 5 attempts. In fact, a Brevet study suggests 5 follow up attempts drive success for 80% of the sales.
However, if you have interacted with the lead once or twice before, the frequency will depend on how the previous interaction went.
5. Make A Clear Ask
Asking clear and direct questions is key to getting a response. Studies show that asking up to three questions increases your response rate by 50%.
Examples of effective questions include:
- What is the best way to reach you for a quick call?
- When would be a good time to discuss my development priorities with you?
- Would you like to participate in our [ Name] conference panel next quarter?
6. Keep an Unsubscribe Option
Including an option for your email recipient to decline your request can alleviate any pressure they may feel. Moreover, it'll show you respect their boundaries.
Here are some examples of what phrases you can incorporate in your email:
- "If this isn't something you can help with, no worries!"
- "If you feel our product/service isn't a good fit for you, you can let me know."
- "If you're too busy to take this on, I completely understand."
- "If you're uncomfortable with this, just let me know."
Also, you can show empathy toward the recipient by acknowledging they may have a lot on their plate and are likely very busy.
7. Promote Yourself
You must pitch prospects effectively to avoid passive relationship growth with little progress. At some point, promoting your services and "selling yourself " becomes necessary to move forward.
Thus, you must stay persistent in sales.
But there's also a risk of becoming an annoying sales representative. To avoid this, try scheduling your touches and using different modes of communication – while committing to investing in the relationship, such as:
- Phone calls
- Social media messaging etc.
Building lasting relationships with potential customers is essential for closing more deals. By implementing the lead follow up best practices we've discussed, you can increase your chances of success in lead follow up.
Remember to track and analyze your results to improve your approach continuously. Then, with persistence and a strategic approach, you can turn your leads into loyal customers and grow your business.
Or, you can leave these responsibilities in the hands of our experts in the field of B2B lead generation. At Revnew, a leading B2B lead generation agency, we connect you with our qualified professionals with expertise in planning business-specific strategies and leveraging AI tools to bring in high-value leads. Contact Us Now.